Cue the seasonal depression in 3, 2, 1…
I can’t be the only one who feels blah after daylight savings rolls around. My motivation goes out the door with that extra hour of sunlight. There’s just something disheartening about leaving for work before the sun rises and getting home long after the sun has set. It makes getting out of bed in the morning harder, and it’s nearly impossible to be productive once I leave the office.
Nighttime basically starts at lunch now, and it’s the worst (ever).
While I love the holidays, this is probably my least favorite time of the year. That said, I’ve found a few things that help keep me motivated despite the darkness, and help to ditch the seasonal depression.
1) Get a Himalayan salt lamp — I love a Himalayan salt lamp for many reasons, and seasonal depression is one of them. The warm glow of the lamp mimics the sun, and it’s an easy hack. If you can’t find natural sunlight, create your own, ya know?
2) Take a walk outside before the sun sets — Don’t bind yourself to life within the four walls of your office while the sun is making it’s rare appearance. Make a point to take a break and go walk outside while the sun is shining. Soak in it, and feel the rays.
3) Embrace the dark and get cozy — Sometimes you just need to accept your inner couch potato. Embrace the darkness (outside, or in your head, no judgement) and get cozy. Wear your grungiest sweats, throw your hair in a bun, order your favorite food to be delivered, and indulge in a Hallmark channel binge.
4) Work out in the morning — If you’re anything like me, the time change makes it hard to do much of anything after work. I mean, it feels like it’s 10pm. Try working out in the morning to start your days off on the right foot.
5) Write down your goals for the season — This is something new I’m trying. At the start of every season I am creating a bucket list of my travel, blog, financial, and career goals. It helps to hold me accountable when I’m feeling bogged down by the weather.
6) Wear a mood-boosting print — If you can’t find the sunshine, wear the sunshine (or something like that). Wearing warm hues and bold prints can be a major mood-booster. I am obsessed with this Spell & The Gypsy maxi dress from my favorite online boutique Largo Drive. It’s the perfect mash-up of summer and fall.
7) Light a candle — Candles can be equally calming, and inspiring. If you’re feeling stuck in a slump, put on your favorite tunes, light a candle, and get sh*t done.
8) Try a seasonal recipe — One of the best things about this time of the year (in my opinion) is soup. I find a lot of joy in trying new homemade soup recipes. If soup isn’t your jam, find a seasonal, hearty recipe that excites you and give it a try.
9) Take a bath — What the actual f*ck are you supposed to do on a Saturday when it’s 6pm, but feels like 9pm? Take a bath and relax. Pour a glass of wine, and take a minute for yourself.
10) Plan a trip — when all else fails, flee the daylight savings darkness. Plan a trip to somewhere tropical and escape. Can I come?
This fun, flowy frock is Spell & The Gypsy from Largo Drive. Largo Drive is one of my favorite online boutiques. They carry some of the best brands like Spell & The Gypsy, For Love and Lemons, Flynn Skye, and Faithfull the Brand. Shop their new arrivals here.