Every year, come January 1, I sit down and set extremely unattainable New Year’s resolutions for myself. You know, like lose 20 pounds by summer— which wouldn’t actually be completely kooky if I had any self-control when it came to beer and nachos (I don’t). Then, like clockwork, July rolls around. By this time, we’re more than halfway through the year and I’m still a century away from achieving my “new year, new me” goals. So naturally, I crumble up my list of resolutions and pretend they never happened. Is that just me?
Now here we are, 2017 and a whole new slew of resolutions have made their way to my notepad. This year, I’ve rounded up a handful of resolutions that are actually attainable, because let’s be real, money doesn’t grow on trees and weight doesn’t magically melt off.
1) Call home more — This is a no-brainer. I am pretty bad at this, because texting has always been my jam. But, I promise you’ll feel a whole lot better about life after a quick chat with mom or dad. Start off by calling once a week.
2) Make your bed every day — This may seem like more of a chore, but there’s something about starting the day with a clean room that says, “today, I’m going to be productive.” And that seems like a pretty kick-ass way to start every morning if you ask me.
3) Exercise 4 days a week — Instead of striving for a number on the scale this year, make a point to simply exercise 4 days a week. If you can do more, great. If not, don’t sweat it (pun intended), you’re only human. Make it a routine and you’ll start to see results, I swear.
4) Eat out less — Eating healthier is one of the most common resolutions out there, and rightfully so. But sometimes, a girl just needs a donut and mimosas. Instead of vowing to eat like a rabbit for 2017, try eating out less. This will save you oodles of unwanted calories, and your bank account will thank you. It’s a win-win.
5) Save $50 from every single paycheck — Every year I swear I will be debt free and my savings account will magically grow by the thousands. This is my biggest resolution fail to date. So this year, I’m going to try to save $50 from every paycheck. It doesn’t seem like a lot, but it sure will add up (or so I hope).
6) Drink more water — Bad day? Drink more water. Tired? Drink more water. Feeling bloated? Drink more water. Hangry? Drink more water. Whichever way you spin it, water is always a good idea. To make a point to drink more this year, buy a cute reusable bottle (hey, whatever works).
7) Try something new — Whether this is running your first marathon or eating sushi for the first time, try one new thing every single month. The year that I ran my first half marathon and signed up for my first triathlon is still one of my favorite years to date. Why? Because it was the year I took a leap and tried something outside of my comfort zone— and that’s a year worth remembering.
8) Be a better friend — Keeping in touch with friends can be hard with all of the hustle and bustle that life throws your way— I’m guilty of this. Make a point to mail your long-distance bestie a card or care package once, every few months, and remind her why you love her. Or at the very least, send her a text once a week to check in.
9) Drink less alcohol — Don’t get me wrong, alcohol is fun— and yummy. But, drinking less alcohol will make you feel good and look even better. Try cutting back a glass or two per week, and go from there. It may be hard at first, but I think you’ll be glad you did.
10) Find what makes you happy — If it makes you happy, do more of that. If it doesn’t, get rid of it. Whether that’s a job, relationship, friendship, a living situation or Netflix— make your happiness a priority this year.
Happy 2017, babes. Make it a good one!